Life Safety Fundamentals for Hospitals
OBJECTIVES OF SEMINAR
Upon completion of the program, participants will be able:
- To address design flaws and design considerations that should be considered to ensure that the health care facility is built and can operate in accordance with NFPA 101 requirements.
- To avoid common design mistakes and examine examples of where better alternatives are permitted by the Code but were not used.
- To identify strategies to assist in maintaining fire and smoke barriers in health care occupancies.
- To carry out proper design review, check construction oversight and carry out periodic facility surveys.
Who should attend
Architects, Engineers, Registered Inspectors, Fire Safety Managers, Healthcare Facility Managers/Engineers, Building Developers, Authority Plan Review & Inspection personnel, Insurance Underwriters, Contractors, etc.
- An introduction to the NFPA 101 Requirements for Health Care Occupancies.
- The most common design mistakes made when designing a Health Care Facility.
- The most common deficiencies in existing Health Care Facilities.
- Achieving and maintaining compliance with NFPA 101 in Health Care Facilities.
Mr William E Koffel, P.E., FSFPE
William Koffel is President of Koffel Associates, Inc.(USA) and Koffel Associates W.L.L. (Qatar), a fire protection and life safety engineering design and consultancy firm, and is recognised as an expert in the fire protection and life safety aspects of codes and standards. Mr. Koffel has a B.S. in Fire Protection Engineering and has over 35 years of experience in providing consulting, engineering design & construction administration, codes and standards development, seminar development and training, product testing and evaluation. Mr. Koffel is active in the development process of the industry’s governing codes, standards and design guidelines including International Code Council (ICC), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), Society of Fire Protection Engineers (SFPE) and Underwriters Laboratory (UL). A former code official with the Maryland State Fire Marshall’s Office, he is a Past President of the SFPE.
Mr. Koffel is a member of the NFPA Life Safety Technical Committee on Health Care Occupancies and is Chair of the NFPA Life Safety Correlating Committee.
He is also Past Chair of the NFPA Life Safety Technical Committee on Means of Egress and the Life Safety Technical Committee on Alternative Approaches. He and his firm are currently providing consulting services to large health care organizations in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the UAE.
IFE Singapore Secretariat
Tel: 6338 9274
Operating Hours: 9.00am – 5.00pm (Mon to Fri)
1) Email the completed form below to: email@example.com , or
2) Post the completed form below to:
The Institution of Fire Engineers (UK), Singapore Branch
32, Ang Mo Kio Industrial Park 2,
#07-06, Sing Industrial Complex,
Closing Date: 31 July, 2015.
Cheques should be crossed and made payable to “The Institution of Fire Engineers (UK)”. No invoice will be issued. Acknowledgement letter will be issued upon clearance of cheque.
Registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis and will be confirmed upon receipt of full payment. No refund will be made for any cancellations but replacements are welcomed. The Organiser reserves the right to postpone or cancel the seminar due to unforeseen circumstances.